Thursday 4 October 2007

Fire 2

I called the Fire Brigade myself earlier this afternoon, but fire was out before they arrived!

Having taken my daughters to the playground off Mill Lane in Hurst Green we spotted smoke billowing from near the skateboard park on the King George Playing Fields. On investigating I found a bin was alight and some kids playing nearby on the skate ramp although they reported that it had been some older boys who had done the deed. At that point the bin was hot and smoking so I thought the only responsible thing to do was to call for help. Of course as soon I had done so the smoke started to subside so much that by the time the engine arrived complete with lights and two-tone horns there was not much to see.

In retrospect I still think I did the safe thing - even though it was a waste of time for all concerned. Should I have done any differently?