Sunday 16 March 2008

First Day Canvassing

In the end bad weather caused Thursday night's canvassing to be called off, so we went out yesterday morning to make up for lost time. Canvassing is a very helpful discipline for a Councillor as it makes sure that you get to go round the whole of your patch at least once a year (clearly I get out and about but it is hard to ensure that I go round all the roads in the ward and this makes sure I do so in a structured way). On Saturday we visited a couple of roads in a newish development.

Three things struck me as interesting 1 - where is everyone at 10am on a Saturday?, an awful lot of people were clearly up and out already; 2 - a brand new children's play area had been completed since my last visit, in my view a great resource; 3 - the level of turnover seems much higher than in the ward as a whole with a number of properties with estate agents' boards outside and residents having changed since the last visit, despite people on the doorstep saying how much they like the area.

Those residents who were in seemed very happy with the area and unusually there were absolutely no issues to follow up.