Tuesday 15 May 2007

A new beginning...

For me and for Oxted South.

On Thursday 3 May I was elected to Tandridge District Council. In doing so I defeated a Labour Councillor of 17 years standing, on a 19.8% swing, turning a Labour majority of 170 into a Conservative one of 249. In a night of dramatic results elsewhere in the country, my ward was the only one to change hands locally.

The full result was:

Simon Ainsworth Con 987

Robin Harling Lab 738

Brigid McIntosh LibDem 232

Tony Stone UK Ind 179

Spoilt 11

Turnout 49.20%


The question is now elected what do I do now? With an established Conservative leadership and an already successfully run authority, what can I bring to the party?

Well hopefully I will know more when it is decided what committees I'm on (for the anoraks our there - as a relatively small district council Tandridge still runs on a committee based rather than executive led model). However, my aim is to effectively represent the interests of my constituents and communicate with them on the issues facing the Oxted/HurstGreen/Merle Common area of Surrey.

Certainly when out campaigning the issues that interest people locally were local ones - what can we do to recycle more, why can't the roads be better maintained and what can we do to stop overdevelopment from overwhelming our infrastructure.